Thursday, July 5, 2012

Costa Rica!

We made it safely across the border yesterday. There were five of us, including myself. Getting out of Nicaragua was surprisingly quick, but getting into Costa Rica took about an hour. We took a bus to Liberia and are staying in a rental house belonging to a past volunteer. The other volunteers arrive tomorrow and we'll hopefully be able to move into the University of CR dorms by Saturday. Then we train the newbies for a week!
Jana, our trainer, is leaving to visit family today and then heading home, so we'll be on our own for the rest of the trip. I've been trying to memorize every bit of Liberia since I'll be leading everyone else on grocery runs, etc.
Jana explained that Liberia used to be just as simple as San Jorge, but has changed dramatically in the last 15 years due to tourism. The schools, however, will be very similar to those in Nicaragua since we'll be working in the poorer outskirts of the city.
There is supposedly sketchy internet in the dorms, but it's very likely that I won't be able to connect or have time (to walk to town to a cyber cafe if that's not the case). I've been having trouble with Wellesley's financial aid department and bills are due this month, so most of my free time will be spent figuring that out.
¡Abrazos y besos!

1 comment:

  1. Katie - My son is heading to Nicaragua on Saturday for a mission trip so I loved hearing that it was cooler there last week since I thought 100+ temps were the norm this time of year. Wishing you a GREAT time in Costa Rica! Jennifer (Friends with your cousin, Melissa)

    ReplyDelete