Sunday, June 24, 2012

Rosas y Espinas (Roses and Thorns)

Our training has shifted into teacher/education territory. The past few days we discussed different teaching methods and formed our own education theories based on our goals for education (raise standards of living, decrease violence, etc.). We also explored the concepts of frontal educational theory versus student based teaching. (Global Learning mainly utilizes student based teaching since it's more interactive and has proven to have better results.) Today, we are exploring different teaching techniques and tools that we will be teaching the other volunteers and then using in the classrooms.
I went to Mass this morning at the local Catholic Church about 3 blocks away from the house. I didn't understand everything but was able to follow along in the small program (which also doubled as a fan). The only things I was brave enough to say in Spanish were "Amen," the Padre Nuestro (Our Father), and "Paz" (Peace). The church was packed! People pulled up lawn chairs in the doorways, even a couple stray dogs joined us. My only complaint was the time...7am. I almost drifted off during the Homily but stopped myself when I noticed a little girl watching my every move. I decided the strange American girl should set a good example :)
If you have any comments or questions, feel free to email me at ksuchyta@wellesley.edu and I'll post my answers! Hasta luego :)

No comments:

Post a Comment